John R. Collins
|Land Use Technician||
The building department personnel are responsible for overseeing all building construction within the Town of Somers. The Building Official enforces the Connecticut State Building Codes and the State Statutes that regulate building construction. All records pertaining to the structures on individual properties are kept in the department. Questions concerning building additions, alterations, or renovations should be directed to the building department.
For questions about the current State of Connecticut Building Codes either contact the Building Department or the Office of the State Building Inspector.
An appeal to any decision of the Building Official may be filed with the Building Code Board of Appeals pursuant to Connecticut General Statute 29-266.
THE PERMIT PROCESS
1. CONTACT THE BUILDING DEPT. to inquire about the permit process for your particular project.
2. SUBMIT APPLICATION along with plans and specifications (if required).
3. PERMIT APPROVAL can be received upon completion of the plan review or consultation with the
inspector. At this time you may proceed with the project.
4. SCHEDULE INSPECTIONS with the building department at each phase of the project (see required inspections).
5. CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY is issued when code compliance has been determined by a final inspection
1. THE FOOTING INSPECTION is done when the excavation has been completed and the forms are in place, but BEFORE concrete is poured.
2. THE FOUNDATION INSPECTION is done before it is back-filled when the foundation coating and insulation (if required) is in place.
3. THE ROUGH INSPECTIONS including framing, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, etc. are to be done before the insulation is in place.
4. THE INSULATION INSPECTION is done prior to the placement of wall, ceiling and floor finishes.
5. THE FINAL INSPECTION is done when the work is complete and prior to occupancy.
ALL INSPECTIONS REQUIRE 24 HOUR NOTICE
PERMIT FEES : Permit fees are based on your estimated cost of construction. THE CURRENT FEE FACTOR IS $12/$1000 OF ESTIMATED COST OF CONSTRUCTION. All costs will be rounded to the next higher $1000 of cost. All fees include the Ct State Education Surcharge of 26 cents per $1000 of stated construction cost. To help calculate your fee, use this Fee Schedule link .
Below are some other useful links:
Report errors/comments on this page to John Collins