TOWN OF SOMERS
DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS
600 Main Street, Room B-1, Somers, CT 06071-2119
Office Hours: Tuesday’s & Friday’s, 11:00 am to 3:00 pm EST & by appointment
Office: (860) 272-4207 or Cell: (860) 604-0634
Contact us at our office number to set-up discussion and counseling appointments.
To Make an Appointment contact us at 860-272-4207, or send us an email to Veterans@SomersCT.gov.
Veteran’s deserve dignified services and together, here in our Somers community,
we PLEDGE to leave no one behind!
WE’RE OPEN FOR BUSINESS
Updated: 7/20/2020 —
We welcome all veterans and their family members to visit our office so we can help you access resources to manage your VA benefits and health care and assist you in completing any forms/documents necessary to do so (other than completing/filing for disability compensation). Although we are not authorized to assist you in filing a disability claim/compensation, we can share our personal experiences with you on the most effective and efficient means to do so.
The Connecticut Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines Fund was established in 1919 to assist needy wartime veterans and their families. Assistance is provided for temporary periods only and is limited in amount, frequency, and duration as specified by the State Fund Commission. Income and asset limitations apply.
Somers and local area Connecticut veterans requiring assistance may contact the Somers Fund Representative in order to discuss their situation and determine the assistance that the agency might be in a position to provide.
Purposes for which temporary assistance is available:
- Assistance with rental payments or mortgage interest payments
- Assistance with utilities such as gas, electricity, water and home heating fuel
- Assistance with medical expenses (Limits apply)
- Assistance with emergent dental care (Veteran only)
- Eye examination and eyeglasses
- Audiological evaluation and hearing aids
- Funeral expenses
- Durable medical equipment
Eligibility requirements are: Honorable wartime service as defined in Conn. Gen. Statutes Section 27-103, Connecticut residency, and Demonstration of need. Contact our office at Somers.SSMF@gmail.com for more information or to start an application. We ARE processing applications during the pandemic/COVID-19 Outbreak.
The Somers Department of Veterans Affairs is your place to discover the wealth of resources available to you to acquire the benefits you have earned and deserve. The following is a non-inclusive list of how we can help you:
- Service Member Benefits. Visit us so we can assist you in finding out what benefits you may be eligible for during service and which time-sensitive benefits to consider when separating or retiring.
- Your Family is Our Family. We will help you learn about the benefits you may qualify for as a spouse, dependent, or survivor. And we will help you find out what you are eligible for as a family member caring for a disabled veteran.
- Burials & Memorials. We will help you learn about the importance of planning a burial in a VA national cemetery – your resources and what you need to do. We can share with you how to order a headstone or other memorial item to honor a veteran’s service and how to apply for survivor and dependent benefits.
- Careers and Employment. Learn about how to apply for vocational rehabilitation services, get support for your Veteran-owned small business and access other career resources.
- Housing Assistance. We will be happy to help you find out if you are eligible for a VA-backed home loan. If you have a service-connected disability, you can find out through our resources if you qualify for a housing grant to help you live more independently.
- Pension. Learn how to apply for monthly payments for wartime Veterans and survivors with limited or no income who meet certain age and disability requirements.
- Life insurance. Help you connect with help to explore VA life insurance options for Veterans, service members, and families.
- Education and training. Connect you with resources to help you apply for and manage your GI Bill and other education benefits to help pay for college and training programs.
- Records. We can help you request your military records (DD-214/215 or equivalents), help you apply for a Veteran ID card (VIC) for verification to receive various military discounts, get your VA benefit letters and medical records, and help you apply for a discharge upgrade.
- Health care. Assisting you in applying for VA health care, finding out how to access services and managing your health and benefits online is our pleasure.
- Disability. We are happy to direct you to the folks who can help you file a claim for disability compensation for conditions related to your military service and manage your benefits over time.
**WHO WE HELP
- Current active duty, Guard/Reserve
- Veteran who served at least 180+ days of active service (*post-training) and was discharged or released therefrom with other than a dishonorable discharge (38 U.S. Code §4211). *Exception: Discharged from the military because of a disability (not pre-existing), early out or hardship
- Immediate family member of a US service member or veteran
- Caregiver to a US service member or veteran
- Surviving Family Member
**REQUIRED DOCUMENTS FOR ASSISTANCE
- Service Records (DD-214, DD-215 or equivalent). We can request these for you!
- Government Issued Photo Identification (Driver’s License, State ID, Military ID, etc.)
- Disability decision (PEB, VA Rating Letter, etc.) – If Applicable
- Proof of all household income (i.e. most recent LES or RAS, civilian pay, disability benefits, pensions). Applicable for financial assistance.
*Various additional documents may be requested to facilitate assistance.
Tuesday & Friday, 11:00 am to 3:00 pm EST & by appointment
(860) 272-4207 or (860) 604-0634
IMPORTANT: The Somers Department of Veterans Affairs is not a rapid response office. If you are a service member, veteran, caregiver, or family member in CRISIS, PLEASE contact the Veterans Crisis Line at (800)-273-8255 and press 1.
Our gratitude to ALL who serve and sacrifice for AMERICA.
Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SomersVets/
For more information on the Soldier-Sailor-Marine Fund (SSMF): https://www.alctssmf.org/